Saturday 3 March 2012

Collateral Damage, 2

I remember when we first met
You spent a week’s wages
To buy me a dress.
I’d never have let you
If I knew what you were up to…

I saw your girlfriend at the supermarket
Pregnant, belly hanging out
Looking like a second hand orphan
I think it’s some new fashion, this
Non dressing
She had that triumphant look
That lasts a moment
When you’ve got that special thing
He put inside you
All to yourself
And everyone knows it,
But
It dies, that pride, like a sunset.

She was in an old t-shirt of yours,
I recognised it.
It’s been so long
Since I suckled that honey,
No, it’s not jealousy-
But sweetness of the memory
Of when we first met.
I knew for certain that you loved me
And you lied and schemed
To surprise me.

I see her now, carrying around
Everything you didn’t want to be…
And I think it’s strange, how we allow ourselves
To be caught and entangled
What we call love begins to strangle
And you're looking so weary, now
You buy things obligingly
But
When you were innocent
I’ll never forget,
You spent a week’s wages
To buy me a dress.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...