Saturday 22 September 2012

Modern Love

I’m worried about money
Always the same old story
Think I might knock out a baby
Like so many women decide to do
And let a well off man
Worry about my financial condition too.
Just when I met you, overhaul
But you were too slow
She felt ripples beneath the hull
See, you were too good to her
I told you, ‘quickly, get rid of her’
No, no, you had to do ‘the fair right thing’
You ‘didn’t want her to suffer’
Ha!
Instead you gave her the right to think;
‘No sir, you don’t get to send me ashore’
Your witch, she wasn’t going anywhere without a piece of you
But you felt you owed her something, she was so accustomed to be being carried
You idiot, giving her rights to that life, you weren’t even married!
It’s me, the one you wanted
Getting off board.  Into a life raft, sailing alone to shore.
In some ways you’re so innocent
You didn’t stop to think
You thought I was being ‘unnecessarily cruel’
But I knew and know; the ways weak, needy women think.

Modern love, you’re so cynical
Modern love, you have to admit, she fits the bill
Modern love, how could you let her?
Modern love, carry her forever
Modern love, it hurts me to admit, just as in Eden
It only takes one bite to fuck up everything.

I see you at the bakery
Baby tied across your chest
You say, ‘how are you?’
I tell you;
I’m worried about money
Always the same old story
Think I might knock out a baby’
And you burst into tears
A grown man
Holding a loaf of lekkerbrot
Outside she’s sitting at a table, drinking coffee
How lovely
Spineless man, you don't deserve to be happy
Go on, go back outside
To your disingenuous family
You embarrass me.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...